Q. How Do I Maintain My Septic System?
A. The four things you can do to maintain your septic system are:
Inspect and have your septic system pumped regularly - You should have your system inspected every three years and your tank pumped as recommended by the inspector (generally every three to five years). Regular pumping is the best and cheapest way to keep your systems in good working order!
Use water efficiently - The more water a household conserves, the less water enters the septic system. Efficient water use can improve the operation of the system and reduce the risk of failure.
Watch your drains - What goes down the drain can have a major impact on how well your system works. Don't flush (or put down the drain) dental floss, feminine hygiene products, diapers, cotton swabs, cigarette butts, coffee grounds, cat litter, paper towels, household chemicals, gasoline, oil, pesticides, antifreeze, or paint. Some of these items will clog up the system and others can destroy the biological treatment taking place in the system or contaminate groundwater.
Care for your drainfield - Plant only grass over and near your septic system. Roots from trees and shrubs can clog and damage the drainfield. Don't drive or park vehicles on any part of your septic system. And, keep roof drains, sump pump drains, and other rainwater or surface water drainage systems away from your drainfield.
Q. How can I tell if my system is failing?
A. There are many signs of septic system failure:
- Surfacing sewage or wet spots in the drainfield area
- Plumbing or septic tank backups
- Slow draining fixtures
- Gurgling sounds in the plumbing system
- Sewage odors in the house or yard
- Tests showing the presence of bacteria in well water
If you notice any of these signs, or if you suspect your septic system may be having problems, contact us immediately!
- We Beat Most Written Estimates!
- Emergency Service
- Friendly Staff That Answers The Telephone!
- Fully Licensed-Bonded and Insured
- We Will Be There When We Say We Will Be
- Flat-Rate Modest Pricing No Matter How Long The Job Takes
- You Approve The Price Before We Start-No Surprises!
- We Leave The Dirt Outside!
Larry Mills Services Inc.
Toll Free: 888-734-8831